The way we live our daily lives has a strong impact on how we manage our moods and minimize our symptoms. Develop a lifestyle that supports your overall wellness by:
- Using therapy and educational materials to improve your self-esteem and change negative thoughts and beliefs into positive ones.
- Enhancing your life with things like pets, music and activities that make you feel good.
- Receiving treatment for an alcohol or substance abuse problem, if necessary.
- Having a comfortable living space where you feel safe and content.
- Establishing a career or hobby that you enjoy.
- Discovering a passion and becoming engaged in it.
- Keeping your life calm and peaceful.
- Taking good care of yourself.
- Eating well, getting plenty of rest and exercising regularly.
- Managing your time and energy well.
- Spending time with affirming, fun people.
Strategies for dealing effectively with mood disorders include an effective treatment plan that you follow; an attitude focused on hope, responsibility and recovery; an effective support system; healthy eating, sleeping and activity habits; recognition of symptoms and trouble signs and a response plan for crises. You can incorporate these strategies into your life in your own way and at your own pace. Everyone develops a different wellness plan, and the right one is the one that works for you.
Content Provided by Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance Website